Sunday 2 August 2009

i want to be a head wound when i grow up


Went to see Kylesa at The Croft a few weeks back. Thanks to me being a bimbly moron, we got there a bit late and only caught the last half of opening act Big Naturals, now performing as a bass 'n' drums thunderous psycha-sludge-doom duo. A very hungover Taint took to the stage next, they're always great. A colossal two-drummer barrage opened up Kylesa's set, which was nothing but noisey sludgey doom from start to finish. Nice.

Meanwhile, grown-up work continues to be tediously dull. I'm not sure if I ever had a job description, but my day now mostly consists of wasting time on the internets. Having now read through the whole of the spEak You're bRanes archive, I've taken to trawling through Wikipedia. On Friday I learned about common rail diesel engines, the Portuguese man o' war, the history of Black Flag and the 80's DC punk and hardcore scene, the American invasion of Panama in 1989, and various stealth aircraft and other American warplanes. I also found out about the Leonard vs. Pepsico case of 1999, which all started because of this advert for the "Pepsi Points" promotion.



Obviously it was meant as a joke, but that wasn't going to stop John Leonard. He'd already collected 15 points, and Pepsi allowed extra points to be purchased for ten cents apiece. So he sent away a cheque for $700,008.50 (which included a $10 shipping and handling fee). Naturally, when Pepsi refused to send an AV-8 Harrier II jump jet to Leonard, he sued.

Thankfully he lost, the court decreeing that "no reasonable person could have believed that the company seriously intended to convey a jet worth roughly $23 million for under a million dollars." According to Wiki, "Leonard claimed that a federal judge was incapable of deciding on the matter, and that instead the decision had to be made by a jury consisting of members of "the Pepsi generation," to whom the advertisement would allegedly constitute an offer."

What a dick.

And now for some toy soldiers. Until I painted Count Drakon Von Carstein, I spent months being a slave to my Chaos Marauders.



So I now have a total of fifty seven of these useless bastards, which as it turns out is about fifty seven more than I would ever consider including in an army. Sigh.

So I've been taking a bit of a break from the square bases, and gone back to my beloved Orkses.


I started my Bad Moonz a few years back, when Orks were shit. But now the rules have changed, and they've become as dead killy as they ought to be. Except for Grotz - they're still shit.


No comments: