Wednesday 22 August 2007

The coolest place in the universe, apparently

I got an interesting letter from the placements department for my faculty at UWE this morning. Based on my average first year grade, I have been selected to apply to the Industrial Placement scheme at Cern, which is apparently the European Organisation for Nuclear Research, the world’s largest particle physics centre.

It also sits astride the Franco-Swiss border near Geneva.

The timing is quite uncanny, as I find myself tonight wondering just what the hell I am doing here. Maybe it’s just symptomatic of me being grumpy, since my fairly standard early evening nap during the last half of The Simpsons was cut short by me spilling half a cup of tea over myself, but I feel like I’m having some sort of epiphany. Or maybe it’s just wind…

Either way, I’m certain that I remember one of the primary reasons for me ditching my old job and choosing instead to study mechanical engineering, was that I was tired of being a manager. I just didn’t enjoy it much, controlling people and being responsible for making sure that simple things get done.

Only now, it seems that despite the change in career, I have simply swapped staff for housemates. Maybe I’m just bossy by nature, I don’t know. But as much as I love them, they drive me up the fucking wall at times. And so I’m thinking of running away to join the circus… well, a different circus anyway.

One with particle accelerators.

No comments: