Of course, it hasn't all been cocking about with toy soldiers. Although it has mostly been cocking about with toy soldiers.
There was also some cocking about with the track slag, which at the last check had a few issues with brakes. The scale of the problem became apparent when we removed the old pads.
For the uninitiated, the shiny bits show where the pad itself has worn away completely and the metal backing plate - which provides almost no stopping power but is very good at ruining brake discs - has ground itself away on the brake disc. As might be expected, the discs themselves were also a bit of a state.
I sure pity the sucker that had to drive that home from the track. (thanks Laura...)
So, new pads and discs all round. We decided after the last jolly that uprating the brakes was probably a smart idea anyway, and so after a day of excessive hammer usage we now have bigger discs and fancy red brake pads. These will make the car go faster, because they are red, and everyone knows that red 'uns go faster.
There was also a lot of cocking about with graduation ceremonies. Because graduating was less interesting to me than essential car maintenance, I took fewer photos. In fact I took only one photograph the whole day, of the bread boat captained by a grapey pirate that Dr Sister constructed using only bits of her ploughman's lunch.
So you'll have to invent pictures in your head using the power of mental thinking to accompany the following bullet point summary of the day.
- Apoplectic scheduling anxiety in the morning, despite going through everything the night before using a D20 to determine how punctual/sober/clothed people would be. Miscellaneous toy soldiers were used to represent all the important people, with coasters used to represent key locations and pieces of shortbread used to represent pudding.
- The Pixie looked delightful in her summery dress.
- I shook some old geezers hand, and now I'm qualified to do stuff.
- Lunch, beer, etc.
- We went to the aquarium. There were lots of fish, but no oversized pencils in the gift shop.
- Big Chinese dinner, beer, etc.
Essentially, the day started stressfully; but got immediately and immeasurably better once the ceremony was done and complimentary booze and cakes was made available .